Thu 15, September, 2022

SENIOR HURLERS: The Senior hurlers were pipped by Doon in a dramatic finish to their meeting in Kilmallock. The match began at a break-neck pace and Patrickswell led by 0-5 to 0-2 after ten minutes (Aaron Gillane 0-2, Mark Carmody 0-2 and Kevin O’Brien). Doon responded with a rapid barrage of four consecutive points in three minutes, before Tom O’Brien restored parity at 0-6 apiece. Doon seemed to be in the ascendancy and the East Men ruffled Patrickswell with a salvo of one goal and three points. By the 20th minute, Patrickswell were six points adrift. Aaron Gillane hadn’t read the script and produced a goal from a free through Doon’s packed goalmouth. Doon boosted their lead to five points at 1-11 to 1-6, but the end of the first half was dominated by Patrickswell’s six point haul from Aaron Gillane 0-5 and Jack Kelleher. The half-time score was 1-12 apiece.

The first ten minutes of the first half were level pegging as Aaron Gillane, Diarmaid Byrnes and Mark Carmody pushed the score to 1-15 apiece. By the 55th minute, the teams remained inseparable at 1-18 to 1-18 and the spectators could not guess the outcome. Doon entered injury time in the lead by a single point, but Diarmaid Byrnes equalised. Deep in stoppage time, Calvin Carroll and Diarmaid Byrnes had Patrickswell 1-21 to 1-19 ahead and victory looked probable. In the 67th minute, Doon’s Patrick Cummins received the sliotar about fifteen yards out before fumbling it onto the ground. The danger seemed to have passed. While kneeling to recover, he managed to fire a shot into Patrickswell’s net to seal a 2-19 to 1-21 win. The final group match is against Adare on Sunday September 18 at 2.30pm in Askeaton.

JUNIOR A HURLERS: Patrickswell cruised to a comfortable win over Garryspillane. The game was competitive until the 15th minute when Patrickswell led by 0-5 to 0-3 (David Woulfe, Bryan Fitzgerald, Jamie Dillon, Barry Foley and Jonathan McMahon). Over the next 12 minutes, Patrickswell plundered eight unanswered points, with Eoin Harmon notching six scores. The first half ended with an exchange of points and the ‘Well were 0-14 to 0-4 ahead.

The second half commenced with two Patrickswell points, but Garryspillane replied with a goal and a point. The lead was now eight points at 0-16 to 1-5. In the last twenty minutes, Patrickswell pummeled Garryspillane with a haul of four goals and twelve points without reply. Eoin Harmon and David Woulfe pocketed a goal & three points each, while Josh Carey scored two goals and a point. Meanwhile, Bryan Fitzgerald added three points and Cian O’Gorman nailed two points. The last group match is against Rathkeale on Saturday September 17 at 3pm in Ballingarry.