Mon 09, May, 2022

SENIOR HURLERS: The Senior hurlers were narrowly beaten at home by neighbours Ballybrown in the City Senior Hurling League. The visitors went two points ahead before Cian Gorman registered Patrickswell’s opening point of the match. Ballybrown led by 0-5 to 0-2 after fifteen minutes, but the following eight minutes were dominated by the ‘Well as Cian Enright (0-2), John Flynn and Seanie O’Brien equalised at 0-6 apiece by the 23rd minute. Ballybrown increased their tempo and they were rewarded by six additional points before the interval. At half-time, the Clarina men were 0-12 to 0-7 ahead.

At the start of the second half, Ballybrown outscored the ‘Well by six points to two points before the 40th minute. Patrickswell had an uphill task at 0-18 to 0-9 in arrears. Remarkably, Thomas O’Brien led a dramatic recovery that yielded eight points in eight minutes (Thomas O’Brien 0-4, Kevin O’Brien, John Flynn, Thomas Nolan and Cian Enright). The home team were merely two points adrift at 0-19 to 0-17 in the 50th minute. Despite the momentum behind them, Patrickswell succumbed to a Ballybrown goal and point to trail by six points at 1-20 to 1-17. The game was thrown back into the melting pot when Seanie O’Brien’s goal was sandwiched by two more Patrickswell points. On the cusp of injury time, John O’Meara’s men were only one point behind at 1-20 to 1-19. The grandstand finale did not materialise and Ballybrown clinically finished the match with four unanswered points to claim a 1-24 to 1-19 away win.

INTERMEDIATE HURLERS: Patrickswell suffered defeat at home to Ballybrown, despite a whirlwind start. The ‘Well raced into a 2-3 to 0-1 lead after just twelve minutes when David Woulfe and Gavin Carey struck the net. Ballybrown dominated the next seven minutes with a haul of one goal and three points without response.  Patrickswell extended their advantage to three points with Jonathan McMahon’s point, but the scoreline was damaged by Ballybrown’s second and third goals before the break. The half-time score was 3-5 to 2-5 in Ballybrown’s favour.

Patrickswell made a good start to the second half by scoring two points in a minute to slash the deficit to a single point. However, the door was slammed in their face when Ballybrown claimed a fourth goal and a fresh point in sixty seconds. There were 35 minutes elapsed and the visitors were five points ahead at 4-6 to 2-7. The teams exchanged two points apiece, before Ballybrown plundered another goal and two points in a three-minute flurry to effectively decide the contest. Chasing a ten-point gap at 5-10 to 2-9, Patrickswell continued to search for a way back.  Five straight points from the ‘Well trimmed the deficit to five points, but Ballybrown crushed the recovery with two late goals and a point to run out 7-11 to 2-14 winners.

INTER-COUNTY HURLERS: Congratulations to the Patrickswell contingent of Diarmaid Byrnes and Aaron Gillane for winning with Limerick against Tipperary in the third match of the Munster Championship. Well done to John and Patrick Kirby on their great success in winning the Munster U-20 Championship title.

CLUB LOTTO: The Club Lotto draw on Tuesday May 3 was not won. The numbers drawn were 9, 25, 27 and 30. The bonus number was 24. The €100 Lucky Dip was won by Sean Mann and the €20 prizes were claimed by Mary Moore, Jenny Hogan, Mary Higgins, Melanie McCarthy and Edward Punch. This week’s jackpot is €14,600.